Donate Your Collection
We welcome inquiries from individuals, families, organizations and businesses concerning donations of historical collections. If you have materials that you are interested in donating, please contact us.
What We Collect
We are interested in collecting materials significant to the diverse histories and development of Colorado’s agriculture and water resources. We also want to hear from you if you have materials relating to your time at Colorado State University. Learn more about what we collect:
- Water Resources Archive Collection Development Policy
- Agriculture and Natural Resources Archive
- University Archives Collection Development Policy
- Manuscripts Collection Development Policy
What happens to materials once they’ve been donated?
When materials arrive at Archives & Special Collections, they receive any necessary preservation treatments and are housed in appropriate archival storage containers in a secure environment. Materials are then inventoried and made available for research. In some cases, materials will be made available online.
Unfortunately, we are not able to accept every donation offered. Decisions regarding what materials to accept are made case-by-case basis and involve many considerations, including:
- Does the collection fit within our collecting scope?
- Is the collection largely unique or does it roughly duplicate other materials we already have?
- Is the physical condition of the material such that it can be preserved within our resources?
- Is the collection coherent and mostly complete, or merely fragments of what was originally a much more complete set of materials?
Monetary Appraisals for Tax Deductions
In certain circumstances it is possible for a donor to take a tax deduction for the donation of historical materials. We encourage potential donors to speak with their tax accountants or attorneys about this possibility. We are unable to offer tax advice.
Donors are responsible for arranging and bearing the cost of collection appraisals. To get started, you may want to visit the Society of American Archivists’ page on the Monetary Appraisal of Archival Materials.
These resources provided by the Society of American Archivists provide more information on donating historic materials.
Morgan Library, Suite 202
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, Colorado 80523-1019
Reading Room Hours
Monday - Friday, 8:30-4:30
Coordinator, Archives & Special Collections