Art & Galleries in Morgan Library
- First National Bank Gallery: First floor
- Bonfils-Stanton Gallery: Second Floor
- South Stairway Gallery: Second Floor
Bust of William E. Morgan
William E. Morgan, the library’s namesake, was President of Colorado State University from 1949-1969. This sculpture can be found on the pedestal in the library entryway. For more information about William E. Morgan’s life before and at Colorado State University, read Democracy’s College in the Centennial State: A History of Colorado State University by James E. Hansen II. Library Call Number LD1153.H347.
Portrait of William E. Morgan
William E. Morgan, the library’s namesake, was President of Colorado State University from 1949-1969. The Portrait of William Morgan is located near the administration offices in the library. For more information about William Morgan’s life before and at Colorado State University, read Democracy’s College in the Centennial State: A History of Colorado State University by James E. Hansen II. ( Library Call Number LD1153 .H347)
The Raven Maps
Through a project to acquire artwork for the library, several Raven Maps were ordered and have been placed throughout Morgan Library. Raven Maps are unique maps in that they are beautiful as well as functional. They are highly detailed maps based on the USGS 1:250,000 scale series. More information on Raven Maps & Images can be found on the Raven Maps & Images web site.
Doors of Paradise 1994: Gates of Transformation
This sculpture, created by Colorado State alumna and metalsmith Karen Lee-Thompson, graces Morgan Library’s inner courtyard. Part of Lee-Thompson’s inspiration for the work came from Lorenzo Ghiberti, an early Renaissance artist who was commissioned in 1425 to sculpt bronze doors for the Baptistry of Florence with scenes from the Old Testament.
This sculpture, suspended from the ceiling on the third floor above the main entrance, was created in January of 1997 by Ed Carpenter at a total cost of $130,000.
“Rooted in the building and ascending with it toward the sunlight, this installation inspires to reinforce the architecture which adding a dynamic, lyrical element. As light symbolizes knowledge, both the sculpture and the library reach out to it. Like an exotic moth, or phototropic flower, the sculpture seeks the light. Sun plays off the glass and prisms casting slowly-moving strokes of light on the walls and ceiling. As clouds pass, the building breathes a luminous, colorful breath. Night lighting carries on the feeling and enlivens the space after dark, reinforcing its role as main axis of the library.”
“Bent and fabricated aluminum pipes and fittings, tempered plate glass, dichroic glass, prisms, stainless steel cables and hardware.”
“Approximately 56′ x 60′ x 22′. Four pipes, 42′, 25′, 22′, and 21′ in length. Seventy-two cables ranging from 20′ to 42′ in length.”